Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

Southwest Egg White Frittata


This morning I woke up famished.  I am sure it is because I happily indulged in a carb-fest right before bed.  I decided I wanted a hearty breakfast that would not weigh me down.  I immediately thought about an egg white frittata, southwest style.

I just got  a great deal on peppers and Roma tomatoes at our farmers market.  The tomatoes are so luscous and delicious I had to keep going back and buying more.  So, I have been having fun finding so many ways to use them.  I made Oven Roasted Tomato Sauce, Rosemary Basil Sun Dried Tomatoes and Oven Roasted Tomato Caprese Salad.  From the fruits of those labors I enjoyed
Sun-dried Tomato and Scallion Egg White Omelet and Penne with Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto.

So today a Southwestern Egg White Frittata.  Here is what I did...


Yield: 2-4
Author: Donna Elick
Southwestern Egg White Frittata

Southwestern Egg White Frittata

This morning I woke up famished. I am sure it is because I happily indulged in a carb-fest right before bed. I decided I wanted a hearty breakfast that would not weigh me down. I immediately thought about an egg white frittata, southwest style.
Prep time: 15 MinTotal time: 15 Min

Ingredients

  • olive oil spray
  • 1/2 red pepper, diced
  • 1/2 yellow pepper, diced
  • 1/2 green pepper, diced
  • 1/2 tomato, seeded and diced
  • 1/2 Spanish onion, diced
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 4 ounces lean ham
  • 2 ounces light swiss
  • 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
  • 8 egg whites
  • salt
  • pepper

Instructions

  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
  2. Place a 10" oven safe skillet over medium heat, lightly mist with olive oil spray. Add onion, garlic, peppers, tomato and ham to pan, add salt and pepper to taste and cook for 4 to 7 minutes or until softened but not browned.
  3. I cooked mine a little longer because I was sharing with my 16 month old Munchkin. Mr W does not care for these veggies, as I am sure you remember. So, Em and I share these delicious dishes. It is nice not having to share with another adult.
  4. In a medium bowl, whisk the egg whites until fluffy, about 30 seconds, add the parsley and combine. As you can see I added the parsley first when I made it this time.
  5. Pour the egg mixture into the pan and stir to combine the ingredients. Cook, without stirring for 4 minutes.
  6. Sprinkle the Swiss cheese over the top of the frittata.
  7. Transfer the skillet to the oven on the center rack and bake until set, about 10 minutes.
  8. Loosen edges of frittata with spatula and slide onto a platter. Using a serrated knife, cut the frittata into wedges and serve warm or at room temperature.




 









Post a Comment

0 Comments