Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

Thinking Exercise, With A Twist

I don't know if this was intended to become a blog bat-a-round, but many bloggers have been piggy-backing on a post made by Night Owl (which was in turn prompted from a post by The Chronicles Of Fuji), where he lists the first player that pops into his head for every team. It's a fun idea, but one that seems to be easily influenced. I've already seen too many Tony Gwynns and Cal Ripkens to trust my own thought process.

I decided to try it out, but with a twist. Rather than just whoever pops in my head, I'm going to think of the first player I can think of that is also a Red Sox alum. I did a similar post last fall, and actually had it in the back of my mind to do a full lineup for each team, if possible. This would be a good starting point. I also decided to only allow a player to be used only once per team.

I present to you now, the player that popped into my head for each team:

Angels - Fred Lynn

1985 Topps #220 Fred Lynn

His swing was built for Fenway. I will always maintain that he would have built a strong Hall of Fame case if he never left.

Astros - Larry Andersen

1989 Donruss #359 Larry Andersen

My first thought was Jeff Bagwell, but he never played for the Red Sox. This led me to think of the guy he was traded for.

Athletics - Jose Canseco

1991 Bowman #227 Jose Canseco

A lot of Hall of Famers played for both teams, yet he popped in my mind first.

Blue Jays - Roger Clemens

1999 Topps Opening Day
#161 Roger Clemens (HL)

He was my favorite player growing up. It saddened me initially when he left. I got over it.

Braves - John Smoltz

1991 Leaf #309 John Smoltz

He's going to be the guest speaker at a University of Virginia fundraiser tomorrow. I think that influenced my decision.

Brewers - George Scott

1977 Topps #255 George Scott

Technically, Scott was the second person I thought of. I had a current Brewer in mind, but for the life of me I couldn't recall his name. All I could think of was his nickname "The Mayor Of Ding Dong City". Scott's name popped in my head before I could figure it out, so apologies to Travis Shaw.

Cardinals - Dennis Eckersley

1996 Upper Deck #375 Dennis Eckersley (BG)

I find with a lot of these players, I'm surprised by the team association. Eck was a quick choice for the Cardinals, which led me to wonder why I didn't associate him with the Athletics before?

Cubs - John Lester

2018 Topps #266 Jon Lester

I wish he never got traded. 

Diamondbacks - Chris Young

2008 Topps #179 Chris Young (PSH)

I'm surprised JD Martinez wasn't the first player I thought of!

Dodgers - Alex Cora

2001 Upper Deck Victory #371 Alex Cora

Like I said above, I did a whole lineup of players who wore both of these uniforms

Expos - Pedro Martinez

1995 Stadium Club #485 Pedro Martinez

Arguably the greatest trade in Red Sox history.

Giants - Pablo Sandoval

2011 Topps #188 Pablo Sandoval

Arguably the worst free agent signing in Red Sox history.

Indians - Andrew Miller

2018 Stadium Club #227 Andrew Miller

The one great thing Bobby  Valentine did in his one year as manager was to put this guy in the bullpen.

Mariners - Derek Lowe

1996 Bowman #228 Derek Lowe

Arguably the greatest trade in Red Sox history, part 2.

Marlins - Andre Dawson

1997 Upper Deck #80 Andre Dawon

Like Eck before him, I'm surprised he wasn't who popped in my head for the Cubs.

Mets - Mo Vaugn

2002 Donruss Originals - Aqueous
#331 Mo Vaughn

It was a shame he had trouble staying healthy after he left Boston.

Nationals - Jonathan Papelbon

2016 Topps #266 Jonathan Papelbon

All-time saves leader for two historic franchises, and if he could have stayed effective for just a few more years, he'd probably have held the Nationals record too.

Orioles - Koji Uehara

2009 Topps #616 Koji Uehara (RC)

The 2013 title doesn't happen without him.

Padres - Drew Pomeranz

2016 Topps Update
#US236 Drew Pomeranz (AS)

He was horrible for the Red Sox last year, but I think he's got a bounce back year coming up. The Giants got him on a good deal.

Phillies - Danial Nava

2017 Topps Heritage #561 Daniel Nava

He's got the kind of story that would make a great Disney movie. 

Pirates - Jason Bay

2004 Topps #411 Jason Bay

He was about a good of a return for Manny Ramirez as anyone could have asked.

Rangers - Adrian Beltre

2015 Topps #175 Adrian Beltre

Happy retirement Adrian! See you in the Hall in 5 years!

Rays/Devil Rays - Wade Boggs

1998 Donruss #234 Wade Boggs

The Rays retired his number before the Red Sox did, which is weird.

Reds - Bronson Arroyo

2011 Topps #98 Bronson Arroyo

Good guitar player, but still looked ridiculous in dreads.

Rockies - Ellis Burks

1997 Score #74 Ellis Burks

Proof that even injured players can be champions. 

Royals - Johnny Damon

2000 Stadium Club #12 Johnny Damon

What an Idiot.

Tigers - Rick Porcello

2014 Topps #384 Rick Porcello

With all the Red Sox hitting free  agency within the next two years, you don't hear about Porcello much. He's been solid, and I wouldn't mind seeing him come back.

Twins - Eduardo Nunez

2015 Topps #499 Eduardo Nunez

Proof that the World Series is still fresh in my mind - I thought of him before Big Papi?

White Sox - Yoan Moncada

2018 Bowman Platinum #22 Yoan Moncada

Why Moncada and not the guy he was traded for, Chris Sale? I don't know.

Yankees - Jacoby Ellsbury

2016 Topps Archives #40 Jacoby Ellsbury

He's still a Yankee, right?

So that was an interesting experiment. In almost all cases I could think of someone better if I gave myself even a minute to think of it. Instead I ended up with a delightfully weird mix of Hall of Famers, All-Stars, regulars and role players.

Post a Comment

0 Comments