Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

Homemade Lemon Curd...



Homemade Lemon Curd.... I have been promising that I would one day post my lemon curd recipe with pictures. I made a few recipes like Berry Napoleon and Mini Fruit Tarts , using lemon curd, but never really showed you how to make it. I had listed the ingredients, but I never showed you the steps involved. Since I made a batch recently, I decided to take photos and add a post devoted only to lemon curd:). It really is easy to make, so I hope you wll try it one day. I know there are many other recipes out there. Some recipes are very picky and can curdle on you, while others have more butter than I care to add. I have made this recipe for years now ...I think it was originally in a Taste of Home magazine. Most recipes tell you to strain the curd...I never strain it. I actually like to see the lemon peel...but if you don't like the lemon peel , just strain it. I cook my lemon curd over low heat in a double boiler and cook it until it thickens or reaches 160 degrees. I then pour it in a jar and let it cool. I love to have lemon curd on hand for scones, pies tarts,cakes etc...I tried freezing the lemon curd and had outstanding results. So make some and freeze it in small containers and you will have lemon curd at your fingertips! It makes a really nice gift as well. I absolutely love making lemon mousse with the lemon curd. Just whip some cream and fold in a bit of lemon curd and you have some amazing Lemon Mousse. Anyway, here is the recipe with photos attached...feel free to cut the recipe in half.

You will need: You can easily cut the recipe in half (which I often do)...recipe makes about 3 1/2 cups.
4 eggs
2 cup sugar
1 cup butter(no substitutes),melted
2/3 cup lemon juice
3 TBS grated lemon peel
1/8 tsp salt
Directions:
If you have a double boiler, use that. If not, you can place a smaller pot on top of a larger pot to make do. It actually works like a charm! Place some water in the bottom of the bigger pot and place the smaller pot on top. You want enough water to barely touch the smaller pot. Just keep the water simmering (use low heat). If you have high heat it will ruin your lemon curd. This does take some patience.
Get your ingredients ready.
In the top of a double boiler, beat eggs and sugar.
Stir in butter, lemon juice, peel and salt.
Cook over simmering water for 15 minutes or until mixture is thickened and reaches 160 degrees.
You will notice that you will have a foam on top. Keep stirring every so often ...you don't want the curd to burn. Basically don't leave the stove for the next 15 minutes or so:). The foam will slowly go away as you reach the desired thickness.
The curd should reach 160 degrees. Strain it if you like, But I never bother!
I like to pour mine in jars while hot. The curd is still a bit clear, but as it cools it will thicken even more and get a creamy golden yellow color.
Cover and store in the fridge for 1 week (or freeze).

Post a Comment

0 Comments